Top 10 Rock / Metal Vocalists Who Can Both Sing You to Sleep and Scare You to DeathThere are some incredibly versatile vocalists who can do many things with their voices.
If you hear two different songs from their discography, you would be surprised because they morph their voices.
This list is about the singers with the biggest contrast between their soothing and terrifying voices. Also, the quality of these two types of vocals matters.
The Top Ten
He is at #1 because he's the singer with the biggest contrast between his soothing voice and his terrifying voice. He's got the smoothest and most soothing voice on this list (along with Jonas Renkse and Hansi Kürsch) but he's got also the most brutal death growl on this list (his growls are perfectly performed as well).
1) Opeth - In My Time of Need, Still Day Beneath The Sun, Windowpane
2) Bloodbath - Weak Aside
3) 2 in 1 vox: Opeth - Ghost of Perdition - Metal_Treasure
1) Devin Townsend Project - Deep Peace
2) Strapping Young Lad - Love? , Aftermath
3) Strapping Young Lad - Wrong Side (2 in 1 vox) - Metal_Treasure
1) Faith No More - Just a Man
2) Faith No More - Cuckoo for Caca - Metal_Treasure
Edge of Sanity - Twilight (2 in 1 vocal effects, haha - he does both in this song) - Metal_Treasure
He is known for his clean vocals in Iced Earth but he can do death growls, too.
1) Into Eternity - Surrounded by Night
2) Into Eternity - Timeless Winter - Metal_Treasure
His soft clean voice is one of the most beautiful music sounds I've ever heard. But wait until he starts growling.
1) Katatonia - July
2) Katatonia - Murder - Metal_Treasure
1) Amorphis - Silent Waters, Mermaid, Sky Is Mine
2) Amorphis - Death of a King, Nightbird's Song (2 in 1 vox) - Metal_Treasure
Most people know that she can scare you to death. But she can do more than that - in her former band, The Agonist, she did more clean vocals than she does in Arch Enemy.
The Agonist - Thank You Pain, Panophobia - Metal_Treasure
Most of the singers on this list employ both clean and unclean vox to get a shocking contrast. Hansi is a perfect example of how to get an impressive contract by using only clean vocals.
1) Blind Guardian - Harvest Of Sorrow
2) Demons & Wizards - My Last Sunrise (2 in 1 type of vocals)
3) Blind Guardian - Majesty, Another Holy War - Metal_Treasure
Lead vocalist of Between the Buried and Me
Most songs often have a mix of cleans and harsh vocals. Songs like Mirrors and Desert of Song feature just cleans.
But of course Tommy can growl insanely as well, as heard in many of their works. - cjWriter1997
1) A Perfect Circle - Orestes
2) Tool - Ticks and Leeches - Metal_Treasure
Soft vox: Gojira - Born In Winter - Metal_Treasure
Especially now more than ever! - Mikbiter15
1) Whitechapel - Hickory Creek, Bring Me Home
2) Whitechapel - Somatic Defilement full Album (Escpecially Prostatic Fluid Asphyxiation and Vicer Exciser), This is Exile, Darkest Day of Man.
3) Both Clean/Dirty: Whitechapel - When A Demon Defiles A Witch - Mikbiter15
Gutturals: All of Repugnant Discography
Clean Vox: All of Ghost Discography - Mikbiter15