Terms | Privacy | Copyright | FAQ
©2005-2019 TheTopTens® All rights reserved.
Top 10 pitchers of all timeSelecting the top 10 starting pitchers is not as difficult as one might think,...after #10 it becomes desperate work as Bill James used to say. A word on the selection criteria before we get started.
A starter is any pitcher who started at least 50 percent of the games in which they appeared
This list is not necessarily in order
1) Walter Johnson ...his record is probably the best combination of career + peak value among the top 10
2) Roger Clemens ...a record very similar to Johnson's,...not quite as dominate in relation to his peers as Walter was in his time.
3) Lefty Grove, ...far and a way the best pitcher of his era,..if he lasted a little longer,...he would be at the top of this list
4) Christy Mathewson, ...one of the truly great ones,...his deteriorating health shortened his career and eventually took his life way too soon
5) Greg Maddux, ...a model of consistancy for a very long time
6) Cy Young, ...set the standard for longevity and excellence in the closing years of the 19th century into the 'modern' era of the New Century.
7) Pete Alexander, ...was a sensation in his early career,...the bottle eventually removed his effectiveness in later years
8) Kid Nichols, ...dominate, ...if he didn't have to compete with hs own business ,might have gone on to compile the best record in baseball history
9) Tom Seaver, ...a throwback to the power pitcher in the mold of the 'Big Train'
10) Randy Johnson, ...in spite of a late start and having to pitch in a pitcher's era,...he was able to carve out a remarkable career
There are many knocking at the door to get in,...however I would argue that none can match the performance recorded by these folks,
. . . for Kid Nichols I meant to say ". . . compete with his own business interests. . . " sorry - visitor