Top 10 Teams Affected by the 2021 NBA Draft Lottery

The NBA Draft Lottery is over and the 14 teams found out their fate in where they will be picking from if not in the first round. Here are the top 10 teams that were affected by the draft lottery and what that means for them come the NBA Draft.
The items in this list have been selected by the author of the list for you to vote and comment on.
The Top Ten
1 Houston Rockets The Houston Rockets are an American professional basketball team based in Houston, Texas. The Rockets compete in the National Basketball Association, as a member of the league's Western Conference Southwest Division.

Of all the teams in the NBA draft lottery, the Rockets had the most to lose. Because of the Chris Paul-Russell Westbrook trade with Oklahoma City, any pick inside the top four was going to be kept by Houston, which was a 52% chance it happened. Had the pick been outside the top 4, a 47% chance that happened, the pick would've gone to OKC, which meant the Rockets would've had Miami's spot at #18. Houston managed to slide in at #2. Even without the chance to draft Cade at #1, the Rockets have a few other great choices in Jalen Green, Jalen Suggs, and Evan Mobley to draft at #2, which they hope will be able to build a title contender in a few seasons.

2 Detroit Pistons The Detroit Pistons are an American professional basketball team based in Detroit, Michigan. The Pistons compete in the National Basketball Association as a member of the league's Eastern Conference Central Division.

The Pistons had the second worst record in the NBA, but, having drafted three potential stars last season in the first round, they were rewarded with the #1 draft pick, which they will most likely use to draft Cade Cunningham as a potential franchise player although there have been reports that Cunningham, while a frontrunner, isn't a lock at #1. Still, Detroit should be able to hit with this pick.

3 Orlando Magic The Orlando Magic are an American professional basketball team based in Orlando, Florida. The Magic compete in the National Basketball Association as a member club of the league's Eastern Conference Southeast Division.

Despite not landing in their expected spot at #3, the Magic still have two top 10 picks in the draft. Their own pick at #5 and the #8 pick, which was Chicago's original pick from the Nikola Vucevic deal.

4 Golden State Warriors The Golden State Warriors are an American professional basketball team based in San Francisco. The Warriors compete in the National Basketball Association as a member of the league's Western Conference Pacific Division. ...read more.

In addition to the 14th pick, the Warriors got an added bonus when they acquired Minnesota's pick at #7 because of D'Angelo Russell trade. Golden State might not be able to get any of the top five players taken in the draft, but they have options to retool and look to recapture their glory days from this past season.

5 Oklahoma City Thunder The Oklahoma City Thunder are an American professional basketball team based in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

It seemed like Oklahoma had the odds in their favor as they had a 52% chance of a top five pick along with Houston's 48% pick going outside the top four. Unfortunately for them, they landed at #6 and Houston kept their pick. This means OKC will have one top 10 pick plus picks 16 and 18 in the upcoming NBA Draft.

6 Toronto Raptors The Toronto Raptors are a Canadian professional basketball team based in Toronto, Ontario. The Raptors compete in the National Basketball Association, as a member of the league's Eastern Conference Atlantic Division.

Toronto had the seventh best odds to claim the #1 pick, but with Orlando, Oklahoma City, and Minnesota falling, the Raptors wound up in the top four of the draft. Just two years after winning their first NBA championship, Toronto has a great chance to have a fresh start in hopes of winning again.

7 Minnesota Timberwolves The Minnesota Timberwolves are an American professional basketball team based in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Minnesota hoped and prayed for a top three pick or else, they would lose it to Golden State from the D'Angelo Russell deal. Unfortunately for them, seven is not part of the top three.

8 Cleveland Cavaliers The Cleveland Cavaliers, also known as the Cavs, are an American professional basketball team based in Cleveland, Ohio.

Like Toronto, the Cavaliers also moved up to the top four of the draft. They had the same odds of winning the draft as Oklahoma City despite OKC owning the tiebreaker. With Colin Sexton and Darius Garland on the squad, Cleveland is looking to either get among the trio of Mobley, Green, or Suggs, or use the pick as leverage for a big return.

9 Chicago Bulls The Chicago Bulls are an American professional basketball team based in Chicago, Illinois. The Bulls compete in the National Basketball Association as a member of the league's Eastern Conference Central Division. ...read more.

Chicago thought the deal for Nikola Vucevic would pan out for them that they used a protection deal in hopes to keep their pick in the future. However, Vucevic hasn't worked out well for the Bulls and they don't have a first rounder for 2021 and will give up a 2023 first round pick to Orlando.

10 New Orleans Pelicans The New Orleans Pelicans are an American professional basketball team based in New Orleans, Louisiana. The Pelicans compete in the National Basketball Association as a member club of the league's Western Conference Southwest Division.

The Pelicans weren't affected either way as they landed in their expected 10th spot. But, for VP of basketball operations Swin Cash, it wasn't enough as her reaction showed disappointment and disgust.