The Best and Worst Movies of 2017 (So Far)MegaSoulhero We're more than halfway through the year and a lot of movies have come out. So in this post, I'm gonna discuss the best movies that came out this year so far and the worst movies that came out this year so far.
10. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - 7/10 - The first Guardians of the Galaxy is one of my favorite Marvel movies. So I was excited for this one. It was good, but a little disappointing. This one seemed to focus on the least important stuff rather than the more important stuff. Which caused the story to be kind of weak. But I still liked the development of the characters and some of the humor was pretty funny.
9. Spider-Man: Homecoming - 7/10 - Very overrated movie. But still a good one. Tom Holland is still a perfect Peter Parker/Spider-Man and is a great actor. Michael Keaton as the Vulture is brilliant! Most of the stuff in the movie were shown in the trailers though. I enjoyed the movie but I wasn't blown away by it like other people were. Aunt May is still hot by the way!
8. War for the Planet of the Apes - 7/10 - Personally, I don't see where the praise from this movie is coming from. Compared to the first two movies, this was a disappointment. People are saying this is the best in the trilogy? I heavily disagree. It was good, but it was far from perfect. There was some pretty awesome things about, but there were also some messy moments that make me consider it as just a good not great film. I still recommend watching it though!
7. John Wick: Chapter 2 - 8/10 - This movie is such a great action film! Out of all the movies to come out this year, this one has the best action scenes! Which makes sense since it's John Wick! It's too bad this movie came out the same weekend as the worst movie of the year. This isn't as good as the first one, but it's still very great'
6. Baby Driver - 9/10 - Nobody puts Baby Driver in the corner! This movie is great! Edgar Wright once again shows how great of a director he is! The acting is awesome, but the best thing about the movie is the car chase sequences! They look very believable! And that's because it's all practical! These are real stunts! I wanted to give this movie a 10/10, but I really didn't like the romantic scenes between Baby and Debora. I'll admit though, Lily James was much better in this movie than she was in Cinderella. Other than that main problem, I had a great time watching this.
5. Get Out - 9/10 - This movie was praised by critics and audiences when it came out! Which is understandable since it definitely is a great film! And this is coming from someone who isn't a fan of horror films! This movie is well acted, well directed, and very entertaining! It really lives up to the hype! I didn't watch this in a theater, but I kind of wish I did. Excellent!
4. The Lego Batman Movie - 10/10 - The Lego Movie I thought was awesome, but the Lego Batman movie I think is even better! This is one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time! The humor is very smart and I love how it references just about every existing Batman film. There are also some emotional moments as well. It's not just a great Lego movie, it's a great Batman movie! And it's the only good movie Will Arnett is in this year! Nut Job 2 looks terrible!
3. Dunkirk - 10/10 - Christopher Nolan is and still is one of the best directors of all time! I was very entertained while watching Dunkirk! This is one of the best war films ever made! There isn't much character development, but in this type of movie, it's not really needed. I still thought it was very intense. Especially when watching it in IMAX. The visuals were stunning! I really hope this gets nominated for best visual effects at the Oscars! This isn't Nolan's best film, but it's an amazing experience!
2. Logan - 10/10 - This is the best Wolverine movie in the trilogy! The characters are very developed and the action is incredible! The violence is very intense! Totally deserves the R rating! The girl who plays X-23 did a fantastic job! Best child actor I've seen in recent movies! An incredible film and a great last film for Hugh Jackman as Wolverine!
1. Wonder Woman - 10/10 - DC finally made their first legitimately good movie in a long time! Wonder Woman was a fantastic film! After watching the movie again, I can see that there are a few flaws, but they are very minor. This movie shows us why Wonder Woman is such a great hero! She doesn't help people because of a tragic backstory, she helps people because she wants to help people! Chris Pine was great as usual! Still glad I saw him at D23 this year! The relationship between the two main characters is done so well! This is still one of my favorite comic book movies! Some might disagree, but opinions are opinions.
10. The Mummy - 4/10 - A remake that didn't need to happen. I originally thought Kong: Skull Island was worse than this, but the more I think about it, the more I really hate this film! At least Kong had more entertaining moments! The Mummy is mostly just boring! This is the worst remake to come out this year.
9. Ghost in the Shell - 4/10 - A live action Death Note movie will be coming to Netflix later this month. It's based on the terrible manga/anime of the same name. I don't get why people like that awful series, but even fans of it are not excited for the live action movie. Because live action versions of anime usually turn out bad! Just look at Ghost in the Shell! I like Scarlett Johansson, but this was not one of her best movies! It's very dumbed down. The visuals are pretty amazing though! But that's not enough to save the movie. It was very unnecessary and badly directed!
8. Unforgettable - 3/10 Every critic who said this movie was bad is absolutely right! It is awful! Terrible acting, terrible writing, it's just terrible! I don't know why I watched this. It didn't look interesting and I was totally right! This is a very forgettable movie!
7. Baywatch - 3/10 - Yeah, this movie is a lot worse than CHiPs. This is just another cash in on people's nostalgia! If you put a bunch of hot guys with rock hard abs in a movie, a lot of girls will go see it! If you put a bunch of girls with huge boobs in a movie, a lot of men will go see it! This movie is clickbait! There are a bunch of jokes but most of it is unfunny sexual humor! When has Zac Efron ever been in a good movie? Never! None of his movies are good!
6. The Circle - 3/10 - The main character of this movie is played by one of the worst actresses ever whereas one of the best actors ever plays a character that is barely in the movie. You see the problem here? Not only that, but the writing was very bad. The way it ends is just terrible! I feel like the only reason why people went to see this film is because of Emma Watson! I really hate when people say they're gonna see a movie just because of one celebrity. I know a lot of people have a crush on Emma, but that doesn't mean she's not a bad actress. She's very bad at acting! But anyway, this movie sucks.
5. The Boss Baby - 2/10 - This is DreamWorks' worst movie by far! Not Shark Tale, not Shrek the Third, the Boss Baby! It's so stupid! I feel like someone jokingly said "I wonder what it would be like if Alec Baldwin played a baby." And they decided to make that movie! Even though it wasn't meant to be taken seriously! This whole movie feels like a joke! I know it's based off of a book, but still! It's bad!
4. Transformers: The Last Knight - 2/10 - I told you this was gonna be bad! Luckily I didn't pay money to see this. I watched it online and it was crap! I really hate Michael Bay movies! All of his Transformers movies are practically the same! Explosions, overuse of CG, sexy female character, jokes that try too hard to be funny but aren't funny, and bad writing! This movie was all of those things! Hopefully with this being the last Transformers movie Bay is working, the others will be better. Overall, this franchise needs to die!
3. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul - 1/10 - I thought the first three movies were okay, but I didn't want there to be a 4th one. They made one anyway, replaced the entire cast, and it was horrible! It's nothing but gross out humor, unrealistic situations, and terrible acting! The new actor for Rodrick was AWFUL! The reason this is a 1/10 instead of a 0 is because there was one joke I laughed at. There was a Psycho reference and I thought it was very hilarious. Other than that, there isn't much enjoyment to be found in this film.
2. The Emoji Movie - 0/10 - The Emoji Movie sucks! Why was this made? I knew it was gonna be bad, but I was still surprised by how bad it was! It's an obvious ripoff of Wreck-it Ralph, Inside Out, and the Lego Movie! The characters aren't interesting and the jokes aren't funny! This was such a stupid idea for a movie! I'm seriously thinking about doing another rant on this movie because the review I did wasn't enough! You're probably mad at me for not putting this at number 1, but there is one movie that came out this year that is much worse!
1. Fifty Shades Darker - 0/10 - There is no way that there will be a movie this year worse than this! Saying Fifty Shades Darker isn't the worst movie of the year would be like saying the Earth isn't flat! Everyone knows that the Earth is flat! But that's not what we're talking about. Fifty Shades Darker is horrendous! I wanted to gouge my eyes out the entire time! Anastasia Steele is a complete idiot! I can't believe they're making a third one! I know there are three books, but I don't want to see another one of these movies in this awful franchise! There is nothing good about it! Trash! Absolute trash!
Cars 3 - 7/10 - Cars managed to become a trilogy even though it was the weakest Pixar film to come out. The first one was okay, but the sequel sucked. Cars 3, however, was pretty good! They made it about racing again! It has a great message and likeable characters! It can be pretty predictable, but that's not enough to say it's a bad film.
Beauty and the Beast - 6/10 - This was the most unnecessary movie to come out this year. It was nearly a shot for shot remake with some filler moments. Casting Emma Watson as Belle was stupid! She has no talent! None! I didn't hate this movie, but it had no reason to be made!
Power Rangers - 6/10 - Unlike Beauty and the Beast, this remake actually was very necessary! There were some pretty good things about it. The acting was great, the story was great, and the characters were great. But it can also be pretty messy at times. Especially the final battle. And I felt like Elizabeth Banks' performance as the villain was a little over the top. This isn't nearly as bad as critics say it is, but it's not very great.
Rough Night - 5/10 - It's just these girls who have a bachelorette party and end up killing a guy. That's all there is to it. And the twist at the end is pretty stupid.
Kong: Skull Island - 4/10 - Bland characters, terrible effects, not enough action, need I say more?
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 6/10 - This movie just screams "End this franchise already!" It honestly needs to come to an end!
So those are what I think are the best and worst movies of 2017 so far. What do you think are the best and worst? Feel free to share your thoughts.
Ghost in the Shell (2017) actually would feel much worse if you saw the original movie. They changed the actual premise so much that it was hardly anything like the original.3/10 - Tia-Harribel
Thank you, for putting Fifty Shades Darker at number one. It pisses me off that the Emoji Movie is higher on the list of worst movies of 2017. - visitor
I hate transformers 5 the mosy - visitor
How come NOBODY mentions fate of the furious on a worst movie list? , it's like people pretend that film doesn't exist, - VideoGamefan5
That movie is bad but not one of the worst movies of the year. - MegaSoulhero
Some random 2017 film ratings for me
The lego batman movie - 9/10
Captain underpants - 7/10
Kong skull island - 8/10
Cars 3 - 8/10 - VideoGamefan5
Ugh.. for Hitman's Bodyguard would that be in your best or worst? - htoutlaws2012
I haven't seen it yet - MegaSoulhero
Okay... get back to me if you do see it. - htoutlaws2012
Thoughts on the movie Split? I remember actually enjoying it. First time in a long time since a Shaymalan film did that. - cjWriter1997
15 years... - visitor
Pfft, the Emoji Movie is on the wrong list. Look at my review if you need convincing. - ProPanda
In my opinion
Top 10 Best So Far
10. The Lego Batman Movie (7/10)
9. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (8/10)
8. Kong: Skull Island (8/10)
7. John Wick: Chapter 2 (8/10)
6. Spider-Man: Homecoming (9/10)
5. Baby Driver (10/10)
4. It (10/10)
3. Dunkirk (10/10)
2. Logan (10/10)
1. War for the Planet of the Apes (10/10) - PeeledBanana
Emoji Movie is worse than fifty shades from what I've heard. - Drawbox
I feel like such an icon on this site for popularizing the whole "This movie just screams "End this franchise already! " " quote on Dead Men Tell No Tales. - DCfnaf
Personally I think transformers is the worst
that franchise can go to hell - iliekpiez
That franchise is worse, I’ll give you that - DCfnaf
What's your opinion on Wonder (the movie)? I thought it was a masterpiece. - Absolite
Ghost in the Shell wasn’t that bad. Critics were too harsh on it. And Emma Watson was a great choice for Belle in Beauty and the Beast. - Sunwhisker
the emoji movie is the best thing ever
such a good message and peformances
I thought it was very orgrinal and came from the heart of a great animation studio
phenomenal flawless masterpiece - iliekpiez